Raven's variation on a theme....
- Parmesan cheese (finely grated from a can)
- Almond flour (meal)
- Golden flaxseed meal
- (Optional) Finely crushed pork rinds for extra crunch; lowers the total carb count.
- 1 tablespoon sugar free Mayonnaise
- Cajun seasoning or seasoning of your choice
- Fish fillets that are fresh or thawed (I love to use catfish pieces that are the size of large nuggets)
- Oil for deep fat frying (I used Canola)
How To Prepare:
Mix equal parts of the Parmesan cheese, almond flour and golden flaxseed meal in a bowl or pie plate. Season the mixture if you'd like with the seasoning of your choice (I used Cajun seasoning). Don't add salt, the Parmesan Cheese is salty enough.
Slather a thin coating of Mayonnaise on the fish pieces, roll in breading mixture.
Heat up your oil 'till it sizzles when you flick a drop of water into it.
Fry the fish a few pieces at a time until golden brown--about 3-5 minutes each side.
Drain on paper towels.
I served this with a fantastic dip...mayo mixed with Cajun seasoning and minced garlic.
Another favorite; Sour Cream with salsa.
(1) I have made this using Crushed Pork Rinds instead of the Almond Meal, which I didn't have at the time. I still got awesome results. It's great with all four breading ingredients, though. For a real kick, use Salt and Vinegar flavored Pork Rinds.
(2) The breading reminded me a lot of what I remember from the Church Picnic Fish Frys I went to as a kid, in Southern Illinois. Definitely the best thing about having to go to church!
almond meal: 5 grams
Parmesan Cheese: 0 grams
pork rinds: 0 grams
flax meal: 4 grams
fish :0 grams
mayo :0 grams
spices :1 gram
Total Grams per recipe: 9