Thursday, September 11, 2008

My Asian-Style Shrimp and Scallop Stir-Fry

Miracle Noodles? Otherwise known as Shirataki Noodles?

Hmmmmmn. A lot of folks think they're weird. But, as a low carber-- I acknowledge that we often eat weird food. But this stuff is awesome.

Shirataki Noodles can be found at your local Asian Grocery, or online at Konjac Foods.

Here's an explanation of what they are, where they come from:

"

What are Konjac Foods?

Konjac glucomannan (KGM) is a water-soluble dietary fiber derived from the root of the Konjac plant. Konjac foods, also called Shirataki Nooldes In Japan, made from Konjac Glucomannan, are traditional Chinese foods with a history spanning over two thousand years. Referred to as Moyu or Juruo in China, and Konnyaku or Shirataki Noodles in Japan, Konjac foods are a popular health food in the Asian markets.

Konjac foods - Shirataki noodles ....

  • are naturally water soluble fiber with no fat, sugar, starch, or protein.
  • contain zero net carbohydrates and zero calories.
  • are wheat and gluten free.
  • pure Vegetable
  • can be stored in the room temperature for about one year. Don't need refrigeration
  • JAS (Japan Agricultural Standard) Cetified Organic
  • are translucent and gelatinous, with no flavor of their own - they easily absorb the dominant flavors of any soup or dish.
  • are instant and come in a variety of styles and shapes - you can simply toss salsa with Konjac instant pasta for a quick meal."
MY WAY OF USING THEM:
Shrimp Scallop Stir-Fry

With the Plain Konjac variety, I put two bags into a colander and rinse them really, really well. Then I fry the heck out of them in about a teaspoon or so (a dollop) of bacon grease. When they have reduced a bit and are a bit more opaque, they are ready for the rest of the "recipe".

Most of the time, I simply add a mix of soy sauce, sesame oil, fish sauce, rice wine . sesame oil and celery, shredded Napa cabbage, chopped green onion mushrooms, water chestnuts, chopped broccoli and onion-- a little granulated garlic, and red hot chili oil as well.

I also add about 1/2 teaspoon of Splenda.

Then, I add lots of large frozen shrimp and scallops. I cook this until it's heated through. If the sauce seems too thin, I'll remove the food mixture from the pot, reserving the liquid.

Then I thicken it up with about 1/8-- 1/2 teaspoon of Xanathan gum. Then I just pour it over the dish, and mix well.

In another pan, I may toast sesame seeds, peanuts, or cashews. (About a handful) and use it as a garnish.

I've also used this method with Black Bean Sauce and Tofu or Cubed Chicken.

I don't ever use Western sauces , such as Spagetti sauce with these noodles. It just doesn't work. These were originally used in things like Sukiyaki. So, I use them for Asian-Style dishes only.

*Note* They are better the next day-- as the noodles seem to absorb a bit more of the sauce. And they also make a very good cold Asian salad. Try serving with a side of Korean Beef Ribs or Bulgogie Beef:

Korean Beef Short Ribs
( I don't know where I found the original recipe, and I low-carbed it from the original)


Bulgogie Beef

Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings (More like 2 servings for a low carber)

Ingredients:

2-1/2 pounds beef chuck flanken-style short ribs, cut 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick*
¼ cup water
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon Splenda or Xylitol or ½ teaspoon of each
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted

Instructions

1. Place ribs in large resealable food storage bag. Combine water, soy sauce, green onions, splenda, seasame oil, ginger, garlic and pepper in small bowl; pour over ribs. Seal bag tightly, turning to coat. Marinate in refrigerator at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours, turning occasionally.

2. I fry these in hot peanut oil ( not much, just a dollop) in the skillet.

3. Brush tops lightly with reserved marinade; turn and brush again. Discard remaining marinade. Continue to cook, covered, 5 to 6 minutes for medium or until desired doneness is reached. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.

YUM.

3 comments:

Vikki said...

I am a major fan of shirataki noodles. I often run them through my mini chopper and use them to replace rice in asian recipes too. But they also make an awesome mac & cheese. I bake them quite often in many dishes rather than always frying them.
thanks for sharing your recipes, you have my problem is which to try first. :o)

Edge of the Circle Books Newsletter said...

Huh! I may have to try this, soon. I'm intrigued about the baking thing...

Dose Pharmacy said...

A debt of gratitude is in order for your glorious posting! I very delighted in understanding it.